I am pleased to announce the 2008 OpenGuides hackfest, to be held in
Information about the event will be updated on
http://dev.openguides.org/wiki/OxfordHackfest2008 but here are the
= When? =
* Saturday 18th October 11am-8pm
* Sunday 19th October 11am-5pm
= Where? =
* Oxford University Computing Services, Banbury Road
* Travel info: <http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/about/travel.xml>
* Note: the front door is locked at the weekend; either make a prior
arrangement with us to arrive at a specified time, or be prepared to
use a mobile phone when you arrive to be let in.
= What? =
Here are some ideas for what we could do:
* make a CSS design suitable for shipping with the default OpenGuides
* implement a global OpenGuides portal
* improve the mobile device support of OpenGuides
* improve the user interface of OpenGuides
* fix/triage a hundred and one little bugs
* meet like-minded people, hack, socialise, maybe even do some Oxford
data collection if you want to get out in the open
* work on integration with Open Street Map
* anything else OpenGuides-related that you can think of
= Beer =
The Oxford Beer Festival <http://oxfordcamra.org.uk/festival2008.php>
is running from Thursday 16th October to Saturday 18th October.
Possibilities include a lunchtime excursion on Saturday, or a meetup
on Friday evening. Bear in mind that it is recommended to arrive
by 6pm on the Friday in order to avoid long queues.
= Connectivity =
* Wired and wireless access
* Bring a laptop if you have one!
= Food and drink =
* Tea and coffee will be available during the day
* There are plenty of sandwich shops in the vicinity for lunch
* There may well be an evening meal on the Saturday evening
= Accommodation =
There are several possibilities for hostels, B&Bs and hotels in Oxford
if you are coming from outside Oxford and looking to stay on Friday or
Saturday night. Additionally if you are on a budget and would like to
crash in someone's spare room/floor, let us know (see below for contact
info) and we'll try and hook you up with someone.
= Sign up =
Please let us if you will be attending (so we know who to expect, and
total numbers), and whether you would be interested in a visit to the
beer festival on Friday, or a meal on Saturday (including dietary
preferences/requirements), by emailing us:
Note that emailing us doesn't compel you to come, so even if you're
not sure, we would appreciate an email.
= Questions =
Email us: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
= Thanks =
Special thanks to OUCS management for allowing us to use the meeting
rooms for this event.
Dominic Hargreaves | http://www.larted.org.uk/~dom/
PGP key 5178E2A5 from the.earth.li (keyserver,web,email)